Pages

Monday, June 24, 2013

Why More Kale?

Being informed helps you make healthier choices. Healthier choices help you eat better. Eating better helps you feel great...and who doesn't want that?

Today, I'm sharing some info on Kale.

I've been trying to incorporate more kale in my diet. My doctor told me that by adding kale, spinach, brussels sprouts and eggs to my diet they work to help decrease insulin resistance which is attributing to my PCOS.

I've always been told spinach is good for you, but I didn't know much about kale. So, being the little science nerd I am, I began to research it some.

"One cup of chopped kale contains 33 calories and 9% of the daily value of calcium, 206% of vitamin A, 134% of vitamin C, and a whopping 684% of vitamin K. It is also a good source of minerals copper, potassium, iron, manganese, and phosphorus." - WebMD

It also has high concentrations of vitamin A, C, and K. It has anti-cancer benefits and is good for healthy eyes. The fiber in kale helps to lower blood cholesterol levels and reduces the risk of heart disease.

Cholesterol lowering abilities seems to increase when kale is steamed. Kale chips would be good too, to increase the benefits, here's a great recipe. You can always use kale in salads with or instead of spinach. You can add it to juicing if you're into juicing. The possibilities are endless.

To visually share the benefits and greatness of kale, here's a info graphic from Juice Generation.


What are your favorite ways to use Kale?
Happy Monday!


Resources used: WebMD & World's Healthiest Foods

No comments:

Post a Comment