Pages

Monday, June 3, 2013

The Streaking Burrito

Testing, Testing. Is this thing on?

Well, first post. I'll try to keep it short. I tend to ramble. 

This recipe isn't original, but I like it. It's healthy and we get leftovers. Leftovers to a college kid is fantastic



I chose to make my own pico de gallo just because I enjoy it. I like to make what I can as long as it doesn't take forever or get too expensive. 


This is probably the only time you'll see meat on my blog! It was before the hubby decided not to eat meat anymore. I probably would have marinated it, but forgot. Usually I'd put some oil in a plastic bag to cover most of the chicken and dump in the spices and let it sit for 1-3 hours in the fridge.  Then take it out and put it on the tinfoil to bake at 325 degrees for 25 minutes.
This time, I drizzled the breasts with olive oil and sprinkled, salt, pepper, garlic, paprika, cumin and chili powder. Sounds like a lot, but when you cut them in slivers it ends up not being so concentrated.


 I put parsley in my pico de gallo this time, but cilantro would probably be better if you're looking for that mexican food flavor. I dump things in until they look about right. Most of my cooking is dumping things in, luckily no mistakes yet. 




The finished product. Looks great right. I wish technology allowed me to share this with you guys! I guess I'll just have to give you the recipe to make your own.


I prefer mine minus the shell, plus chips!





Ready to make it?

Pico de Gallo
5 roma tomatoes - juice & seeds removed and diced
1 small onion - diced
handful (or however much you want) of parsley or cilantro - chopped
juice of a lime - optional, I like the extra tartness it adds


Streaking Burrito Fixings 
1 cup not cooked brown rice - cook as directions on bag/box say. Add in chopped cilantro to your liking
1 can pinto beans &/or 1 can black beans
corn - frozen or fresh off the cob
romaine lettuce
avocado/guacamole - optional
sour cream/greek yogurt - optional
meat - seasoned chicken or steak - optional
shredded mozzarella to sprinkle on top

I usually start with rice at the bottom, add my beans, then corn (these are the warmer things, especially if you're heating up leftovers...works nicely so you don't have to heat the chilled toppings). Then I add my greek yogurt (I prefer it over sour cream, it's healthier and tastes pretty much the same), pico de gallo, and top it off with cheese. 

I like mine in a bowl and eat it with chips or you can put it in taco or burrito shells. 

Happy Monday!



1 comment:

  1. So colorful and healthy! It looks delicious!

    Very nice! I can't wait to see what else you'll post. It's amazing to see what a good cook you are since your mom didn't let you help much while growing up. Eh...even if you had, we all eat so different now it wouldn't matter anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete