Pages

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Wacky Mac 'N Cheese

I am a huge fan of mac 'n cheese. It's the best comfort food. I know, there's virtually no nutritional value. So I added some.

I took my mom's homemade mac 'n cheese recipe and revamped it. Drastically! 

I needed to change a few things. For example, my mom's recipe that I was basing the basics off was for a single batch, I always double the batch, but I forgot to double the cheese sauce. Oops. Also, I'd add more veggies. I probably should have used elbow macaroni, I usually do, makes it more wet because of less surface area.

Hubby was excited to bring leftovers to work because the guys all ask what restaurant he went to. He says, "No restaurant, my wife made it!" Makes a wife proud!






Stella was mad I wouldn't share. Poor pooch. 

Wacky Mac 'N Cheese
16oz elbow macaroni, cooked 6-7 minutes, drained
3 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
3 cup unsweetened almond milk (I prefer Almond Breeze. You can also use unsweetened coconut milk)
about 2oz freshly grated asaigo cheese
about 2oz freshly grated parmesan cheese
about 2oz freshly grated romano cheese
about 2oz freshly grated smoked gouda
5-7 cloves garlic, minced (you can scale back on this if you're not a fan of garlic - I LOVE it though)
1/4 - 1/2 bunch of kale, thinly sliced
2 cup mushrooms, sliced if you prefer
small onion, diced
about 10 leaves fresh basil, chopped
2 teaspoons salt
pepper to taste
little olive oil
about 1 cup bread crumbs
***If you don't want to grate all of the cheese, you can get about 8oz whatever cheese blend you prefer. But trust me, it's worth it to use fresh grated cheese! 

Start boiling a pot of water for pasta. 

Drizzle a little oil in the bottom of a frying pan on medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic, saute until soft. Add mushrooms and saute until mushrooms are cooked (they'll be a pretty even brown). Turn off heat and set aside. 

Add pasta to boiling water and cook for 6-7 minutes. 

While pasta is cooking, melt butter in sauce pan. Add flour and blend, cooking for just a bit. Add almond milk and cook over low heat until thick, stirring constantly. Once it starts thickening add basil. 

Drain pasta. 

Mix in cheese after sauce thickens. Turn burner off and let set until cheese melts. Stir in salt and pepper.

Mix onion and mushroom mixture in with pasta. Add sliced kale with pasta. 

Add cheese sauce to pasta and veggies. Mix well. Pour into 9X13in pan or 3-quart casserole pan. 

Sprinkle top with extra cheese if you have some. I prefer gouda. Sprinkle top with bread crumbs. 

Bake at 350, uncovered, for 35 minutes. Broil low for the last few minutes if you like the top extra crispy. 


*Adding peas, asparagus, roasted tomatoes, etc would be good too. Just make sure if you add too many veggies to add some extra butter and milk and maybe a little extra flour so the mac 'n cheese isn't too dry.

I hope you have a wonderful Tuesday! 

Also, I came across this e-card and had a good laugh, so how I feel about Mac 'N Cheese. 

1 comment:

  1. 5-7 cloves of garlic....THAT'S MY GIRL! This sounds awesome! Too bad you didn't bring some to your mother! :) But you make a mama proud too! Good job.

    ReplyDelete