Pages

Friday, June 14, 2013

Creamy Mushroom Gnocchi

I haven't been in the kitchen much lately. I hate to admit it. I really miss it though.

That's what I get for taking summer classes.

Anyway, last night was the first night this week that I wasn't drowning in homework, so I got to cook dinner!


 Awhile ago when I was at World Market, I picked up some gnocchi. I never tried it before, but I love pasta and potatoes...so how could I go wrong?



 I found this recipe on one of my favorite food blogs and it seemed easy enough and it was quick, so why not? Quick as in around 15 minutes. Beat that Rachel Ray!


It's the perfect comfort food. Especially after a long week. 


Creamy Mushroom Gnocchi slightly modified from How Sweet Eats.

1 pound whole wheat gnocchi (I used regular, tastes just fine too)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced (I add extra, I love garlic!)
2 cups mushrooms, chopped
1/3 cup white wine (I dumped in a bit extra)
1/2 cup heavy (or light) cream
1/4 cup freshly shaved parmesan cheese + more for topping
fresh parsley for garnish
salt and pepper


Start boiling water for gnocchi.
Heat skillet over medium heat and add olive oil. Add onion and garlic and a dash of salt and pepper. Saute until onion is soft. Add garlic and mushroom. Saute until mushrooms are soft.
Dump gnocchi in boiling water and cook as directed on packaging.
Add wine to onion/mushroom mixture and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add cream and stir. Turn heat off and stir in parmesan.
Drain gnocchi when it's done cooking. Then mix with sauce.
Top with parmesan and chopped parsley.
Enjoy!

When I remake this again someday, I will probably double the amount of mushrooms and onions. I felt they cooked down a lot more then I wanted so I didn't get the taste I wanted. Also, that sauce would be great with some asparagus, either on asparagus, or add asparagus to it, or asparagus instead of mushroom. My husband doesn't like mushrooms, he liked this recipe. But for his sake, I may try with asparagus or something next time.

Do you have a favorite gnocchi recipe?

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment